Norman Plastow Gallery

Architect, conservationist and lifelong Wimbledon resident, Norman Plastow, 84, has been a leading figure in the environmental landscape of Wimbledon. Among his many achievements has been the design of a new art gallery in the Village Hall building in Lingfield Road, the home of the Village Hall Trust and the Wimbledon Society. He created a light-filled space in an unused part of the building with great imagination and design flair.

In recognition of this significant design, as well as his extensive work for the Trust and the Society, the Gallery was re-named the Norman Plastow Gallery at a ceremony on 7th March 2014.

What will be on display in the gallery

This the first opportunity to see many of the works collected by the Museum of Wimbledon since its foundation 96 years ago in 1916. The paintings have been acquired through donations, bequests and works by new local artists. The new gallery provides an extension to the Museum itself at 22 Ridgway and entry to the exhibition is via the Museum’s Perry Room on weekend afternoons.

How public art exhibitions in Wimbledon began

Public art exhibitions in Wimbledon date back to 1876 when the Wimbledon Art & Benevolent Society staged its first charity fund-raising show of oils and water-colours in the Village Hall. This became an annual event and gradually diversified to include photographs, wood carving, sculpture, book binding and needlework. The Art & Benevolent Society changed its name in 1906 to the Wimbledon Arts and Crafts Society.

In that year, Richardson Evans, then a recent founder of what later became the Wimbledon Society, appealed to local artists to lend pictures for an exhibition illustrating ‘Old and Picturesque Wimbledon’ before it disappeared forever. Many of the pictures loaned became permanent and helped create a collection for the Museum after it was established at the Village Hall during the First World War.

Future use of the gallery

Future "Museum of Wimbledon" exhibitions in the new gallery will feature the hundreds of other images from the collection, which also includes photographs, topographical engravings, sketches, 19th century steel engravings and newsprint, original drawings and etchings.

The gallery will also be used by local artists and schools with access via the Village Hall entrance in Lingfield Road.

gallery view

An artist's impression of the gallery - early 2011

Development work begins - August 2011

The finished gallery displaying the opening exhibition - February 2012