Print

Shops

The rapid expanding population of the 19th century provided work and opportunities for many people in the different areas of Wimbledon as they were developed. For many years tradesmen had operated from home with the first building officially designated as being a shop in 1700 belonged to a wheelwright. A survey prepared for Earl Spencer in 1776 shows a community with many different tradesmen at work and they continued to grow in numbers including: bricklayers, blacksmiths, carpenters, wheelwrights, bakers, butchers, grocers, chandlers, tailors, shoemakers and hairdressers. One of the most interesting was Charles Newson Piggott who kept a general store offering items including butter, cheese, ginger, soap, snuff, brooms, pairs of "spectticalls" and "neting needels".