Print

Pubs

There was a tavern on the site of the Dog and Fox in 1546 and in 1617 the White Hart stood on the east side of Church Road. The Rose and Crown in the High Street was built about 1650 with a malt house which still stands next to Eagle House. The Crooked Billet was first recorded as an ale house in 1759, although it then stood at the corner of Westside. Further north, just beyond Cannizaro House, was the Rising Sun, closed by magistrates in 1798 as injurious to good order. Since then many well known pubs have followed but alas, like the King of Denmark, not all have survived.