Print

The Janssen House

1721-1900

Sir Theodore Janssen, a naturalised Englishman of French origin who became a Member of Parliament and a director of the South Sea Company, bought the manor in 1717. He used bricks from the Elizabethan Manor House to build a smaller one, later known as Belvedere House. The house stood to the west of the church and was designed by the popular architect, Colin Campbell. In 1721 Janssen was implicated in the collapse of the South Sea Company and his estate was confiscated to compensate shareholders. Although he was allowed to keep his newly built house he preferred to live in another, nearer the High Street. Belvedere House was then occupied by William Beaumaurice Rush. It was then enlarged and an extra story added by Sir Ellis Cunliffe in 1782.