Print

Merton Place

Merton Place was Lord Nelson's house where he and his friends Sir William and Lady Hamilton set up their joint home in 1801. The house, then about 100 years old, was in Merton, near South Wimbledon, but part of the 70 acre estate with its beautiful formal gardens was in the parish of Wimbledon. Nelson spent only short periods in "paradise Merton" and sadly left in 1805 for what would be his last campaign. A number of accounts for the sharply increasing weekly expenditure still survive. They were split equally between Sir William and Nelson (who was also Duke of Bronte) and he often signed the accounts personally. After the deaths of Sir William in 1803 and Nelson in 1805 Emma, being unable to curb her generous and extravagant tastes, was forced to sell the estate in 1808.