The Manuscripts collection comprises 600 documents or groups of closely related documents (e.g. recitals and conveyances) relating to the area and mostly consisting of : deeds to property; records of local associations; papers collected by or related to notable local residents; documents relating to the history of local military organisations and hospitals; and parish and vestry records. Notable among these are: a grant of tithes to the Prior of Merton, 1354; a conveyance of land by the Bishop of Exeter, 1414; deeds relating to the purchase of Merton Place by Lord Horatio Nelson and its subsequent disposal; and the diaries of the Victorian engineer Henry Forde.
Collection enquiries and research
We are very happy to welcome members of the public who wish to consult our collections for research. Please contact us in advance to arrange an appointment at a time when the Museum is not open to the public.