Artefacts collection online

artefactsThe Artefacts collection can best be summed up as the 'social history' or 'community history' collection. It comprises around 300 items, mostly from the period 1850-1980, of which about half are on permanent display in the themed cases within the museum.

Most of the 'things' you see in the museum which do not fall into the other collection categories will probably be in artefacts. As such, it is an extremely diverse and exciting array of local material.

Mineral water bottle
Accession number: LDWIM000149
Class: Artefacts
Description: Aqua green moulded glass, cylindrical body, convex base (forcing bottle to be stored on its side), hand-applied glass lip (to receive a cork). Moulded in relief along the body, ‘TOMLIN & CO WIMBLEDON. Made by H. Tomlin & Co., 140 Alexandra Road, Wimbledon. c.1900. Length: 177mm. Diameter (body): 52mm; (lip): 32mm.
Truncheon
Accession number: LDWIM000177
Class: Artefacts
Description: Light wood truncheon. Black body, natural handle. Length 457 mm. Diameter 35 mm. Inscriptions: ‘K P’ in circular decorative lozenge surmounted by an elaborate crown in red, gold, black and white paint. Gilt ‘37’ above handle. ‘K P’ poorly incised in sans serif capital letters near the tip. No hole for cord attachment. Probably English. Probably circa 1850
Bag, Sugar
Accession number: LDWIM001025
Class: Artefacts
Description: 1 lb. gross and 2 lb. gross blue heavy paper sugar bags, open topped, empty, folded closed. The bags have been on display for 20 years in the Shops Case, one on top of the other and have faded badly in the natural daylight. 1 lb. bag dimensions: height  18.3 cm x width 12.3 cm; 2 lb. bag dimensions: height 23.5 cm x width 15.0 cm. Bags marked in black ink in a rectangular grid '1 lb. GROSS / SUGAR' and '2 lb. GROSS / SUGAR' respectively. Provenance unknown . Twentieth century made.
Tin, of pastilles
Accession number: LDWIM001026
Class: Artefacts
Description: Tin of Allenburys Pastilles, made from glycerine and blackcurrants. Tin litho printed, simple rod hinge, well lined with waxed paper and contains a conglomerate of about 20 lozenges. Tin dimensions; 80 x 50 x 25 mm. Manufactured in England at Bethnal Green by Allen & Hanburys Ltd., London E2, 1930-1958.
Cap, Prefects
Accession number: LDWIM001033
Class: Artefacts
Description: Prefects school cap, navy blue velvet exterior, beige silk lining. Rutlish School, with school badge and motto beneath. Badge comprises Merton Fret (from the arms of Merton Priory) in blue, with black eagles at the intersections, against a gold background. School motto beneath:”‘Modeste Strenue Sancte” (“Be modest, be thorough and pursue righteousness”). Belonged to Ernest John Aisne (Jack) Brewer (1914-1993), Old Rutlishian, represented Great Britain at discus throwing in the 1948 Olympic Games held in London. Width 230 mm. Name tape inside inscribed ‘J. BREWER’ handwritten in black ink. Made c.1930.
Medal
Accession number: LDWIM001034
Class: Artefacts
Description: Medal, bronze, to E. Weller, pupil at Queen’s Road Church of England School, 1933, for swimming, ‘Length Under 11’ for Wimbledon Borough sports, awarded by Wimbledon Schools Athletic Association. The Sports were held at Wimbledon Park. Made by Thomas Fattorini Limited, Birmingham, c.1930. Green enamelled border inscribed ‘WIMBLEDON SCHOOLS ATHLETIC ASSOCIATION’. Borough badge with coat of arms at top, central boss depicting ‘Swimming’ flanked by floral garland. Reverse engraved ‘LENGTH UNDER 11 E. WELLER 1933’. Oval maker’s stamp above, ‘THOMAS FATTORINI LIMITED BIRMINGHAM’. Loop at top with link ring attached. Diameter 30 mm.
« Start Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next End »